Old 01-28-07, 08:52 PM

Has anyone else used a lock on their locker?
Since it was mentioned in the information sheet in our locker we decided to add a combination lock when we left. We found a long-shackle combination model (Brinks brand) at Walmart and it just barely fits thru the lid opening, but does secure the lid very well. We also saw locks with longer shackles - but they required a key (which we did not want to have to remember to carry with us).

The model we found was similar to this and cost was about $7. I think ours has a 2" shackle.

http://www.lockcity.com/brinks/item.asp?target=214

Any other thoughts about locks?
Old 02-08-07, 03:00 PM

RE: Has anyone else used a lock on their locker?
Unfortunately--"page could not be found".

But I think it's a good suggestion, as long as the lock you find will fit. Maybe something along the lines of a suitcase lock would work too. I'll have to check on my next trip.

If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones.
OLJ member

Old 02-11-07, 06:49 PM

Sorry about the link.

I don't think a lock with anything smaller than a 1.5" shackle would fit and a 2" shackle would be best.

We picked one up at WalMart for about $7.
Old 02-17-07, 09:14 PM

We used a lock on our locker--this after I ruined both seals! First I left out some items--great there is another seal. Then after turning the locker in atbell services for pickup I started looking for things like tickets, health card, credit card, and cash--oops! It was still in the small purse I left in the locker and only use for Disney trips. A quick stop at Walgreen's for a lock took care of that. A very nice guy at bell services was kind enough to find our locker and cut the seal for me. After rummaging abit I found the things I left and put the lock onour locker. The guy put it back on the shelf and absolutely refused my tip. He was the first person in Disney I have ever encountered who refused a tip! I guess the only thinghe probably should have done is require my IDbefore giving me access to the locker. I had my driver's license in my pocket but he didn't ask for ID. While at the airport I called and left a message for John to let him know about the seal. I received a reply a day later informing me that a new seal had been placed on my locker and the seal number was included. Thanks John!

Like Doc's our lock had a shackle about 2 inches long. I don't think the next size smaller would have fit. Unfortunately it has a key and I will have to remember to bring it next time. It was the best we could find with not a lot of time available before going to the airport. I storedthe keyswith my tickets and Mickey Mouse watch.
Old 02-21-07, 01:10 PM

I think a lock would be a great idea. That was one of the only problems I had with my locker. I couldn't get into it because I had no scissors. A combination lock sounds about right. Here's hoping I don't forget the combination between trips. LOL
Old 03-08-07, 01:25 PM

We purchased locks for our locker as well. We couldn't finda combination lock that fit so we settled for a keyed lock.My preference would be to have a combination lock molded into the locker or to be part of the locker in some way...no forgettingkeys, lost locks, etc.
Old 01-29-08, 07:45 AM

I think I'll be safer getting a lock for my locker
after I couldn't get the seals off without pliers to grab the tabs
and wound up cutting them off with my pocket knife
which resulted in my impaling my wrist with the end of the knife when the seal finally gave.
Old 01-29-08, 08:25 AM

We're using one of these--
Master Lock cable lock

But our locker is so jam-filled that we still need to use the seals that John and Brian provide to keep the lid on tight.

The lock appears to be a bit flimsy and lightweight, but I've pulled at it, tugged at it, and otherwise tested it, and it still seems to be working.

OLJ member

Old 01-29-08, 12:17 PM

We have a lock on ours. It's unique in that instead of the solid steel "U" that most padlocks employ, this one has a long, flexible, cable type that loops nicely thru the locker holes.
Old 01-29-08, 09:01 PM

No lock for ours. If anyone in bell services wants any of the crap I have in there, they can have at it!
Old 01-29-08, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by nono View Post
No lock for ours. If anyone in bell services wants any of the crap I have in there, they can have at it!
We just had the adventure of discovering what was in our locker. It was like Christmas morning. Had half of it been missing, I wouldn't have known!!
Old 01-29-08, 09:53 PM

No lock on ours. That would be just one more thing for Yours Truly to have to keep track of.

With me being in charge of the tickets, wallets, money, photo pass cards, reservations, etc, no thanks.
Old 02-01-08, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by nono View Post
Ditto.
Old 06-02-08, 09:26 AM

I think it was May 2007 when John provided me with a cable lock to test. He was a bit doubtful about it, because when Brian tested the lock it broke right away.

Well we used it for a year, but during our trip in May 2008, it also broke. It was a MasterLock, so you'd think it would be more durable.

But we like using a cable lock, just to keep anyone out of the locker during the time we're not in the room, and to lock up any valuables. So we bought two different brands of cable locks from Amazon. We'll use one and keep one as a backup. The backup lock is the same as the MasterLock that John provided. It was relatively inexpensive (something like $8.50). The main lock we'll be using is a LumiLock Cable XL, and it cost $19.99 on Amazon.

Both are combination locks, so there's no key involved.

OLJ member

Old 06-02-08, 09:38 AM

http://www.projectchildsafe.org/

In the left column is a small pic of the cable lock we use.

John, if you were interested in marketing these locks, see here: http://www.ghfactory.com/

Last edited by KNWVIKING 2.0; 06-02-08 at 09:42 AM..
Old 06-02-08, 10:30 AM

It looks like that particular cable lock has two disadvantages over the ones we've chosen.

First, it uses a key. I like the idea of a "set your own combination" lock over using a key. What if you forget to take the key with you?? Or do you just keep the key on your keyring at all times?

And it doesn't look like the cable retracts. So you're stuck with the length of cable that you get.

But the lock looks really study, but I just don't think the Project ChildSafe lock would work for us.

OLJ member

Old 06-02-08, 10:59 AM

Keys can get lost but combinations get forgotten. We keep two sets of keys in a carry on piece of luggage and a belt bag that ALWAYS go to Fl with us. Losing the key isn't a problem as I'm sure remembering your combo isn't for you.

The cable is actually almost the perfect length. There is a little play where the lid can come up a bit, but not enough to actually get anything out.

Strength wise it is unbeatable.

Remember one thing: Regardless of what lock you use, the Locker is still plastic.
Old 06-02-08, 11:42 AM

We set all our combination locks to the same combination. So if we forget the combination, none of them will open.

Good tip on the key, however.

OLJ member

Old 12-28-08, 07:02 PM

I met my OL for the first time last weekend and it was picked up by bell services yesterday. As the guy was picking it up to place on the dolly, one of the seals hit the tubular metal part of the dolly and it broke off. Good thing I still had spare seals that I hadn't used so we were able to reseal it. I never expected the seal to break at very minimal impact but I guess it could happen. Now, I'm thinking I'll have to bring my own tie downs when we come back for our next visit.
Old 12-28-08, 07:57 PM
Purple van driver

Location: at the OL warehouse in front of a bunch of computer screens
Hi Elfa,
Welcome to Owner's Locker and these forums. I hope you don't mind me using first names. I think it makes the place friendlier. I'm a bit surprised that the seal broke as well. We usually hear just the opposite-that they are too hard to break. I suspect it was just a fluke that the Locker hit the cart at just the wrong angle. But, maybe next time, you should use two of the seal just to be sure.

John

John