Old 11-29-08, 09:30 PM

Shopping Near WDW?
Hi all:

I guess I'm the newest Owner's Locker person at the moment; so, as you'd expect, this is a "newbie" question.

We'll be arriving at Disney World's Port Orleans Riverside Resort in January. We never rent a car while we're there, because one of the things we look forward to most on our holidays is NOT driving. Since we have the Owner's Locker now, though, we'd like to pick a few things up to leave in it.

So, my question is - does anyone know of a store that would be, say, walking distance from Downtown Disney where we could pick up a few supplies?

Thanks in advance - scanning through the forums, you seem like a terrific group!

Cheers,

Marg.
Old 11-30-08, 07:18 AM
Purple van driver

Location: at the OL warehouse in front of a bunch of computer screens
Hi Marg,
Welcome to Owner's Locker and to these forums. You're right...it's a very friendly bunch.
You've asked a tough question because there really isn't anything within walking distance to Downtown Disney that will have items in a reasonable size or price. There's a Wal-Mart not too far away but it's small. There's also a Publix and Winn-Dixie nearby as well as a nice ABC liquor store. But all of these will require a taxi or car.
The beauty of the Locker is that it will allow you to store heavy/bulky items such as a large bottle of detergent or liquor, special cooking items, etc. Some of these things you can pack or ship but others, it just makes more sense to buy once you're here.
I'd suggest the Super Target at the intersection of SR 535 and US 192 or the new Wal-Mart at Sand Lake Road and Turkey Lake Road. Both are less than 5 miles from property and have great selections at good prices.
You may get other ideas from our members as well.

John
Old 11-30-08, 09:04 AM

Couldn't she just contact the OL Purple Taxi & Transporter Service ?

At the end of Hotel Row is a place called Crossroads. From DTD it is about a 3/4 mile hike. There is a Goodings at Crossroads. Goodings is considered a high priced grocery store, but it should have all you need at prices below disney levels. Here's a link to Crossroads:

http://orlando.retailguide.com/data/m101629.htm
Old 11-30-08, 09:38 AM

Thanks!
Thanks a lot, guys! I'll talk it over with my family and we can decide what to do. We're not afraid of a decent hike, so we may just go with "option #2."

Marg.
Old 12-11-08, 10:56 AM

Just following up in case this discussion might be of use to anyone else in the future. A terrific person replied to me through a private message. I won't mention her name in case there was a reason she wanted to reply privately, but she had a great suggestion for me.

She suggested I take a look at www.gardengrocer.com. It's a local grocery store with reasonable prices, and (best of all) you can order everything you need online and have it delivered on your choice of day and time period for a reasonable charge ($12 at time of writing). That beats renting a car any day!

Hope this helps someone!

Marg.
Old 12-11-08, 03:13 PM
Purple van driver

Location: at the OL warehouse in front of a bunch of computer screens
Marg,
Some sites don't like it when you mention another website but we're fine with it.
John
Old 12-11-08, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by John@Owner's Locker View Post
Marg,
Some sites don't like it when you mention another website but we're fine with it.
John
Sorry, John! I never thought of that!

Marg.
Old 02-18-12, 08:50 AM

There are also grocery delivery sites out there that we have used before. For a small fee they will bring your stuff to you!
Old 02-25-12, 03:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to DrGaellon Send a message via AIM to DrGaellon Send a message via Yahoo to DrGaellon
Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
At the end of Hotel Row is a place called Crossroads. From DTD it is about a 3/4 mile hike. There is a Goodings at Crossroads. Goodings is considered a high priced grocery store, but it should have all you need at prices below disney levels.
Goodings is VERY expensive and has a very limited selection. If you're looking to stock your box with a variety of products, beyond just groceries, you really might consider a one-day rental so you can drive around and get whatever you need.

When I stayed at Westgate Lakes, I either shopped at Publix on Central Florida Pkwy (past SeaWorld) or Whole Foods on Sand Lake Rd and Turkey Lake Dr. Now that I've moved to Westgate Town Center, I shop at the Winn-Dixie on Irlo Bronson or the Publix a little further west at Orange Lake Blvd. (I don't shop at Target or Wal-Mart because I don't like their politics.)