Old 05-21-08, 12:56 PM

American to charge for first checked bag
Coach passengers on American Airlines will now pay $15 for their first checked bag.

http://www.btnmag.com/businesstravel..._id=1003806104

If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones.
OLJ member

Old 05-21-08, 01:00 PM

I just heard that. We bought our tickets in February for our trip in August so we "should" be exempt from this AND the charges for a 2nd bag. I say should because I don't have a lot of faith in them remembering that

I'm thinking we signed up for our OL just in time

Funny thing is I used the possibility of just bringing carry ons as a selling point to my fiance. After this trip, it won't be a possibility, it'll be necessity!
Old 05-22-08, 01:10 PM

I'm completely glad we have Owner's Locker now with all the crazy fees airlines are implementing. One of my big deals about OL was originally about going carry-on, more so I wouldn't have to check luggage or wait for luggage in baggage claim.

I feel for the airlines with the price of oil. I really do. But I think their nickel-and-diming policies are not what the flying public wants. I think that while people will look for a cheap price, they do want some basic services and items covered on their ticket. It's becoming a hassle to calculate what your ticket will cost when you are just going a quick airfare check.

I think they must think that people want a la carte pricing. On some level for some things, I think that's true. But I think the airlines would be better off just raising fares and CLEARLY stating what those fares cover, like your seat, a carryon, a piece of checked luggage, onboard non-alcoholic beverage, etc. Whatever they decide to cover.

I think when people see what's included, they can then decide to purchase other things like additional checked luggage, snacks, etc.

Coming up:
Oct 08 ~ DCL and BCV
Old 05-22-08, 02:22 PM

I have a friend who won Disney's Dream Job contest last year. Disney put his family on American Airlines. We flew out on Southwest to see him perform his job.

When we got together with them, we learned that American provides no free food on their flights anymore. They were able to purchase something on the plane. Southwest at least provided a snack package for free.

If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones.
OLJ member